Welcome to my blog. Contents include NBA / basketball - related posts intermingled with random mundane thoughts dashed with a bit of sarcasm and (t)wit . Style of writing is under construction. ©2005 by the NBA Addict!.

The NBA Addict!

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The Seven Samurai

Just bought and watched a "copy" of The Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa. The movie piqued my interest because it (and Kurosawa in general) was credited to be the inspiration for movies like The Magnificent Seven (which I have yet to watch), movies by Spielberg, Lucas, et. al., and was credited by Stephen King in the Author's Notes of Wolves of the Calla, book four of the Dark Tower Series. Some say that it is the best Japanese movie made, period.

That, and I read about it in Adrian's blog. Ü

What can I say? Shichi-nin no samurai was made in 1954, but the black-and-white visuals did not deter one from experiencing this great movie. It was clean (in a cinematic sense), swordfights were mostly real without being overly gory, and there was superb characterizations from the primary characters. Each of the Seven were describable in a word: leader, apprentice, follower, witty, contemplative, smooth, and boisterous. There was a Kuwabara(from Yu Yu Hakusho) type of character, a Goemon(Lupin III) type... the actors came through with their performances, making each character distinct.

But movie buffs watched it mainly because of Kurosawa. Not being a polished movie critic, I didn't know what to look for. The DVD feature with the commentary was enlightening, to say the least, on how meticulous a director must be to come up with perfect scenes on every scene. And this is a 3-hour movie, fellas. Whew! If it were me, I'd only be able to direct the 10-minute gap that served as an "intermission", presumably for washroom breaks. (Every 3-hour movie should have this!)

Anyway, I got to get back to my job (this is borrowed time on a borrowed computer). All I can say is, for curious movie fans, watch it. Its a far cry from the special effect-laden action flicks we see in moviehouses nowadays, but The Seven Samurai is a movie, not a flick.

'Till the next, peeps!

3 Comments:

hahaha welcome to the world of blogging :) I made the mistake of watching 7 samurai at 1am in the morning... hehe malay ko bang 3 hrs yan
If you are interested in Elfen Lied check out my site Elfen Lied for related content on Elfen Lied
free emoticon yahoo messenger
find free emoticon yahoo messenger at free emoticon yahoo messenger

Add a comment