Welcome to my blog. Contents include NBA / basketball - related posts intermingled with random mundane thoughts dashed with a bit of sarcasm and (t)wit . Style of writing is under construction. ©2005 by the NBA Addict!.

The NBA Addict!

Monday, December 20, 2004

Frozen Bubble - a Symbian Game Review

Continuing the thread on Symbian phones, I just had to show you the first game I downloaded over the internet. It got me hooked for a few good months. And it taught me that playing games on my 6600 is a bitch on the battery :lol:


Frozen Bubble

Frozen Bubble (download), as I had mentioned in a comment, is freeware originally from Linux ported to Symbian. How does the game go? Simple:


Fire away, mateys!


You shoot balls from a laterally stationary... harpoon(?). You can move the pointer 180%, fire a colored ball, and if the ball hits another, the ball fired will stick onto the ball on the screen. But if they are of the same color, those balls fall off the screen. Simple Puzzle Bobble mechanics.


Tip: bounce balls off walls! Wow! o_O

Only here, there is no score involved, and you can't die (until you quit that is). Sounds are nice, but not really great. The good news is, there are hardly any lags while playing, and its the type of game that you will not get sick of in the long run. You know there's an opportunity to play it, and its replay value is endless. Wish there was a save function though, and the high score contains only the level reached until you give up and the time you spent to reach that level, leaving much to be desired..


Yes, only Level 24. I lost No, I did not lose patience on the game early

Overall, addicting for a while but you may get sick of it once you realize that there is no end to the madness that is Frozen Bubble. Great game to have on your phone, great time-consumer, and great battery drainer Ü. Just don't get too preoccupied with the game, you just might not notice the cellphone snatcher beside you...

Scale of 0 - 5:
Graphics: 4.0
Sound: 3.5
Gameplay: 4.0
Addiction factor*: 4.5
Staying Power^: 5.0
OVERALL: 4.2 / 5.0

* -
How hooked will you be? Will you be able to put your phone down?
^ - How long before you decide to uninstall the game?

4 Comments:

Because I am not using a Symbian phone but I have Linux at home so I am still hooked on to it. ^_^ It keeps me up all night.

But now that I have been using Emacs as my editor and planner and whatever else one could use it for, I have rediscovered the simple joys of snake, tetris and gomoku. NO fancy graphics but they sure are addicting!
Gomoku? wats dat?

ehehe. Are the two versions (symbian/Linux) different, for example in scoring? :)
Hmmmm. Can I try playing it on your phone so I could tell you?;)
haha! anytime clair kun! pero kelan ba tayo magkikita? heheh

Add a comment