Welcome to my blog. Contents include NBA / basketball - related posts intermingled with random mundane thoughts dashed with a bit of sarcasm and (t)wit . Style of writing is under construction. ©2005 by the NBA Addict!.

The NBA Addict!

Friday, March 18, 2005

GSB Night (Part 2)

Graduate School of Business Night-capper
(continued from Part 1)

10:18 - To be fair, Merk’s was the first place that we saw with 2 adjacent vacant tables. The tables were not inside the bar, which had its pros and cons.

Pros:
  • Fresh air
  • A better view of the party happening at neighbor Absynth. Plus we get to listen to the sounds next door.
  • A bit more distance + a glass wall dividing us from the septuagenarian crowd inside.

Cons:
  • No aircon
  • Since we didn’t have to see over a crowd, we had a better (side) view of R.J. Jacinto playing guitars with a woman (in her late 30’s?) wearing a bra top and leggings dancing around with a tambourine. Reminded me distinctly of Margie in Ray: she was enlisted as a backup singer, but her gyrating onstage showed that she was there primarily to add a female presence, IMO.
  • We are constantly reminded (ok, envious) of the neighboring alternative place where the people were more our age level.
  • I had to constantly wish and pray that no one I knew would walk by and see me at Merks’. I would’ve died on the spot if anyone did. I don't need this...Jeez. I am uncool enough as it is.

10:30 – Hirits of the night:
  • “We’re sitting here??? Wait, I gotta fetch my parents …”
  • “They’re playing my parents’ theme song!”
  • [Upon hearing yet another 60’s song] “OK, uwian na. Tara!”
  • (After Father claps after a performance) "Father, aminin mo na, di ka na nakatiis, nag-eenjoy ka e!" And he promptly stops in mid-clap, and sheepishly replies, “Courtesy lang sa nagpeperform…” (yeah right :D )
  • "Edra, kapanahunan mo!"

All spoken while totally disregarding the fact that Richard Merk was sitting on the table right beside us at one point.

10:37 – Wow, someone ordered food! Oh, well. Let the torture continue. I thought we’d just drink one beer then get out of there but NOOO… I was hoping that I could get away from the place sooner rather than later…

10:40 – RJ announces that they’ll be playing a song that was a huge hit.

10:41 – As expected, we did not recognize the song. Wow, hit na hit talaga! Unless alam sya ni Father. J/K…

10:45 – When you hear “Blue Suede Shoes" during your gimik, it’s time to pack up. Seriously. So why am I still here? My parents brought me up to be too nice to just leave ‘em here. Waargh.

10:47 – Wow, RJ just played the guitar solo by placing the guitar at the back of his head! If it wasn’t so OLD school I’d be cheering.

10:52 – Just saw a grandma take her blazer off to reveal a bustier. Wanting to spare my eyes and sanity, I looked away – and was granted a view of a cute female in a see-through blouse and bra top.

Maybe I already have died and gone to purgatory.

11:21 – Just saw a 50 to 60 -something dad do an Eddie Guerrero/Antoine Walker shimmy shake. Good thing his kids weren’t here. If he was my dad I’d probably tackle him so that he’d stop his inanity. Gods, will this never end??

11:40 – Someone has answered my prayers! Nope, its not the end of their set. Nope, they didn’t have an alternate.

Someone in our group asked for the bill. :D

12:01 – I’m finally on my way home. Passed by McArthur Highway to spare myself the Php42 toll fee, cheapskate that I am. Bakit ba, wala namang trapik e…

Disclaimer: Merk’s is actually a cool place to be in IF you're a member of their target market. I obviously am not. Not yet anyway...


Till the next, peeps! :)

3 Comments:

Sh*t! Nakatiis kayo ng 1 and 1/2 oras sa ganung sitwasyon?!! Ang titibay ng mga loob nyo 'tsong! haha! Buti na lang talga at nahiwalay kami --- mukhang mas okey pa talga ang mabingi sa katahimikan ng banda sa aposento, kaysa naman masabak sa tunog ng dekada kwarenta sa merks =P

Sasusunod kasi, tignan mo muna ang idad ng grupong sinasalihan mo.... si Father at si Edra ba naman ang kasama? E 'sus, disaster yan!
Sh*t! Nakatiis kayo ng 1 and 1/2 oras sa ganung sitwasyon?!! Ang titibay ng mga loob nyo 'tsong! haha! Buti na lang talga at nahiwalay kami --- mukhang mas okey pa talga ang mabingi sa katahimikan ng banda sa aposento, kaysa naman masabak sa tunog ng dekada kwarenta sa merks =P

Sasusunod kasi, tignan mo muna ang idad ng grupong sinasalihan mo.... si Father at si Edra ba naman ang kasama? E 'sus, disaster yan!
heheh. Sayang nga di ako nakasama sa kanila.. heheh

I've learned my lesson for sure :)

Add a comment